Shiplap and Paneling

In the past few years paneling has come back in to vogue. The term “Shiplap” has come to represent a number of different products.

Purchase at these locations:

Shiplap vs Tongue and Groove - A shiplap has a notch in the board halfway though called a rabbet. Each edge of the board is rabbeted on opposite faces, so the boards nestle together. Tongue and Groove (T&G) is when the notch is cut on the front and back faces on one edge and in the center of the other edge. Sometimes the edge of one face is beveled, giving the boards a “V-Groove” when pushed together. Any of these options can be ordered as natural or primed, smooth or rough sawn.
What is Nickel Gap - Regardless if a board is milled as shiplap or tongue and groove, it can be milled to fit tight together, or so that when the boards are abutted with a slight spacing called Nickel or Shadow Gap.
Wainscoting - Another general term, wainscoting is paneling that goes partway up a wall, typically a third to halfway. This can be done using a beaded board or panel, shiplap, tongue and groove, or made using raised panel moldings.


Raised Panel Wainscoting

Rough Sawn

Shadow or Nickel Gap

Shiplap Ceilings


Schedule an appointment



Subscribe to get daily news & more gif

© Copyright 2018, Northeast Building Supply. All rights reserved.
Design and Development by Noble House Media Group – Made In Connecticut